Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Trying solarcooking at school in Norway
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying solarcooking at school in Norway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brit from Norway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Trying solarcooking at school in Norway Reply with quote

Wednesday the 28th of March we tried making porridge from rice and water and milk at school. The pupils who took part in the experiment are 10 to 12 years old.
We used two parvati cookers 60 cm diameter.
We had to start early, because the children were to leave for home at a quarter past twelve. The cookers were put out at half past nine, and we had to stop the cooking at five minutes past twelve. (This is Norwegian summer time, so we stopped an hour before the sun was at its highest!). A little salt was added, and the children got a (very small) helping each with sugar and cinnamon. They were really entusiastic and thought it great fun. Many of them said that this solar porridge tasted better than usual rice porridge.

The ambient temperature was 0 degrees Celsius when we started, rising to 15 degrees at 12 o'clock.

Amounts used:
Cooker 1 (for 11 children):
2 dl rice
4 dl water
8 dl milk

cooker 2 (for 7 children):
1 1/2 dl rice
3 dl water
6 dl milk

Put the ingredients in the black pot, provide a greenhouse (plastic bag or salad bowls), place in the cooker and turn and tilt the cooker to catch maximum sunshine.

The reason for using such small loads in the cookers, is that a bigger
load will take a longer time to bring to the boil. We had to finish on time! In this location a load of 2 liters is possible in clear weather, it just takes longer.

You can see one of the cookers we used here:
http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Image:60cm_parvati_side_view.JPG

and you can see how to make it at this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/80s/shobhapardeshi/twelvesided.html
coconino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s an excellent way to show children what can be achieved using the sun. We use oats here for porridge and would call your recipe “rice pudding”—which I am very fond of—and I feel certain that it will not be long before I’m following your example!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shawn

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Cooking in the winter at high latitudes Reply with quote

The porridge in March demonstration reminds me of an experiment I tried this winter:
    February 3, 9:36AM to 10:40AM
    Latitude 42 degrees North
    three-sides-of-a-box cooker (60cm x 60cm x 60cm)
    Hard anodized aluminum 1 liter pot on fondue-pot stand
    Plastic "roasting" bag
    Frozen mixed vegetables
    outside temp: -2C
    wind: 40kph
    results: overcooked, tender vegetables in just one hour!

I believe the open design of the three-sides-of-a-box cooker allowed the bushes and buildings nearby, even though they were very cold, to help thaw the vegetables. To vegetables at -15C, a +1C bush or a +6C wall looks warm. To explain this to a student, ask them to think of how an ice cube feels when put in a glass of cold water.
I love my HAE pot, with glass lid. Many camping pots are now made of HAE.
To see photos and my recipe:
http://energyteachers.org/ReadArticle.php?id=166
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: