Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Hot Jar Lids
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Jar Lids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Post a Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Hot Jar Lids Reply with quote

I have a question about using jars as cooking vessels in solar cookers. The lids of most commercial jars have gaskets in them, and in the USA, many of these gaskets apparently are made with PVC. Jar lid manufacturers say the PVC is stable at temps up to 225 degrees F, which is hotter than the lids get during the normal "canning" process when the jars are filled with their products at the food processing plant. However, when these lids are painted black and used in a solar cooker, the lids probably heat up above 225 degrees--perhaps up to 250. So is there a health danger in cooking food in a vessel that has a little PVC in it that may be heated above the temperatures it was designed to withstand? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
David Whitfield

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice answer Sharon
Kruegerian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow Sharon's answer didn't get posted, or at least I'm nto seeing it. David, could you repost her response? I cook frequently with jars and am very interested in this discussion. Thanks!
elev 270m
SharonID

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruegerian wrote:
Somehow Sharon's answer didn't get posted, or at least I'm nto seeing it. David, could you repost her response? I cook frequently with jars and am very interested in this discussion. Thanks!

My original response was lost to a battle with the evil spam-bots, but it was basically that as long as what you are cooking has enough moisture to make steam, that is going to modify the temperature of the lid. Even if the actual cooker temperature is higher, your lid shouldn't go much above the temperature of the steam inside the jar. Smile

Regards,

SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Post a Question All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: