Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - oven bags & oven thermometers
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oven bags & oven thermometers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: oven bags & oven thermometers Reply with quote

Do any of the UK solar cooking folks know where I can obtain some of these plastic, transparent oven bags. Never seen them anywhere, can you only get them in far away places?.

Also (if anybody is interested), a local £ shop near me sells solid state metal oven thermometers for (durr) a pound. They're good and calibrated correctly (I tested in boiling water) excellent for in the box, If anyone wants one i'll send for the price of the postage + £1.

Cheers

Stew
coconino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my oven bags from Tesco. They come in two sizes, both made by Baco (an Alcoa company). The "Cook-in Bags" come eight to a pack and measure about 265 x 420 mm (it says 250 x 400 mm on the pack); the larger "Turkey Roasting Bags" come two to a pack and measure 457 x 533 mm according to the pack. From memory they are £1.99 per pack, but that might well be wrong. In Tesco I find them on the same aisle as the cooking foil and freezer bags, etc.

The oven thermometers sound good. I'll have a scout round the local cheap shops and see if I can spot any before calling on your mail-order service. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Ta Phil Reply with quote

Got some cooker bags the other week..........dont go to many supermarkets these days,, (one of the benefits of being an inner city type).

I have constructed a reflector type thing based on your straight line template, (printed on A1 sheets) and incorporating some wires to keep it together and to suspend the cooking vessel above the reflector faces.

Got 70 dgs C in double cooking bags the other day, I think a single one will work just as good. This was outside, exposed with an air temp of about 12dgs.

My theory is that a small scale 'patty warmer' which can be used to 'microwave' patties when out or just faffing around (ie in a car windscreen) would have instant sex appeal to the casual greeny (the purchaser of windup radios, crap solar garden lights etc etc).

I think that something like this would be best placed indoors (temp around 20 dgs) to reduce heat loss from the cooking vessel - a small pie tin in my case.

I'll report when i get a good piping hot salt fish patty out of one (try it with hot pepper sauce mmmmm), then i'll know it has mass appeal.

best

Stew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: