Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Solar enthusiasts in London
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solar enthusiasts in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Solar enthusiasts in London Reply with quote

Hello! I made my first solar box cooker last week and tested it in London on Sunday. I'll post the results below, but first I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Philip King and my interest in solar cookers began very recently and by accident. I was doing an experiment with my ten-year-old son where we were trying to observe sun spots, but the results were not very satisfactory so I searched the web for information about how to do better observations and in the process stumbled across the world of solar cookers. It really fitted in with my long-held concerns about the environment, so much so that I have decided to make solar cooking the main focus of my attention with regard to development and environmental issues.

If there are any other London-based solar enthusiasts, please comment to this thread to introduce yourselves.

-= Philip

Last edited by coconino on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
David Whitfield

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: London Solar Reply with quote

Wow Philip,
Great to hear that you can solar cook in soggy foggy England.

Welcome to the world of solar cooking

warm regards
David Whitfield
in Bolivia
coconino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: London Solar Reply with quote

David Whitfield wrote:
Great to hear that you can solar cook in soggy foggy England.

I've yet to prove that it's possible to cook, but from my one experiment (at very much the wrong end of the year) it looks like it could be easily practical in the summer. I'm looking forward to the spring and doing more tests.

Thanks for the welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
terrysunderland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Solar cooking in England Reply with quote

Hi all. Yes, I have done it! I live in Sunderland, North East England. One sunny day last year, about 17c, I cooked a tasty, succulent chicken on my lawn in less than three hours. I claim to be the first person in England to cook a chicken in a simple "Cookit" oven!! I would not mind if someone has beaten me to it.

NB I will be taking some Cookits to Bangladesh in July 2007.

See http://www.thewearsurmaclinic.com/

http://www.thewearsurmaclinic.com/
coconino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Solar cooking in England Reply with quote

terrysunderland wrote:
Yes, I have done it! I live in Sunderland, North East England. One sunny day last year, about 17c, I cooked a tasty, succulent chicken on my lawn in less than three hours. I claim to be the first person in England to cook a chicken in a simple "Cookit" oven!! I would not mind if someone has beaten me to it.

Great! I'll mention your feat at the next climate group meeting. Do you have a date for when you cooked it?

Please keep us posted about how it goes in Bangladesh.

(Do you remember Jan 28th last year? I do! I'm a Brenford supporter, by the way Wink)
terrysunderland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Solar cooking in England Reply with quote

I think that it was at the end of August....I was so excited about, I forgot to take photographs!
I forgot to mention that, before the chicken went in, I had earlier cooked some rice. I found that the rice (Basmati), was actually a little over-cooked for my taste, but still perfectly palatable.

Well, I guess that Brentford must have thrashed Sunderland last January?!? I am not a football supporter so wouldn't know!!

What is the Climate Group?

NB I have put an item onto the Wiki/Bangladesh/Individuals/Terry Elliott page. Also a posting on the SCI technology forum!

coconino

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cooking for ages here as the weather has been !$%&*&! dreadful.
terrysunderland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Solar cooking in Bangladesh Reply with quote

Hi all.
We did a small but succesful trial in Bangladesh early in 2008.

Going back to do a larger demo in January 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: