Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Solar cookers for homeless people.
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solar cookers for homeless people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Humanitarian Aid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Solar cookers for homeless people. Reply with quote

One of the people who just happened to show up at the park while my international solar cooking holiday event was in progress was a homeless woman, who has been living in her car since fleeing a bad domestic situation. "Maybe this is the answer to my problem of being unable to cook and heat water," she said.

So I gave her an EZ-3 (plus bag, extra bag, and booster) and pint and quart cooking jars, and I've been thinking about it ever since. For homeless people who have a car or even a cart or backpack that they are living out of, small folding solar cookers such as the EZ-3, which you can see at: http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/EZ-3_Solar_Cooker could be a definite asset. I plan to experiment with sliding cans of beans, soup, etc. (opened partially to vent) into a thin black sock, to see how the EZ-3 does at heating them up that way.

I was homeless for a while myself, back when I was nineteen, and the ability to heat food or water without fire would have been a wonderful thing. You can buy a can of soup a lot cheaper than a bowl of soup in a restaurant, or a whole package of instant oatmeal packets for less than the price of one restaurant serving. Anyway, it's something for people to think about, if they are looking for a humanitarian project.

It will be even easier when the EZ-3 book is finished, but there is enough information on the web page so that anyone with even a little cooker building experience can figure out how to make one, and it would be a particularly good cooker for the purpose, because it is so compact when folded and so very easy to learn to use.

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Humanitarian Aid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: