Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - my jar in a jar cooker
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my jar in a jar cooker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: my jar in a jar cooker Reply with quote

hi all. im new here. i just want to say what great inspiration and information ive found here just browsing. the last couple years ive built a couple of box cookers.my latest one boiled water today. im in ohio and it was a mostly cloudy day, but, it boiled Smile . i was messing around with it yesterday when i stumbled across the info. on the jars as cook pots. got me thinking which led to my newest cooker. i call it the jar in a jar cooker.
basicaly its a large pickle jar as a "box heater" upside down. on the inside goes a black painted jar with lid {pot} this sets ontop of a heat plate {black painted metal lid}.this all rests on a parabolic base that directs sunlight through jar from the backside as well as what passes through the other sides.it also boiled some soup today, then i cleaned out the jar and about a hour later i had hot enough water to make a cup of coffee.like i said it was mostly cloudy. i never seen a cooker like this talked about so i realy wanted to share this low tech.,easy to transport, light wieght cooker idea. im sure some of you will find improvments that can be made. id like for you to share your ideas with me.ill post pics tomarrow.after i learn how to post them. i didnt take any today.sorry, got all excited when the soup started to boil. l.o.l. my nieghbor was awestruck that it actualy worked.kaz
kaz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, how do you post pictures? i put out both my cookers this morning at 9 am est.the jar in a jar cooker went up to 150 f very quickly {within 15 min. by 10:30 am est the jar in a jar cooker was at 170 f .the box cooker slowly climbed to 150 by this time.in the box cooker i have two jars of home made vegetable soup with fresh veggies from my garden,and a jar of noodles with water for the soup.{ i put this in once it reached 150 because i know it wont be long before it gets to 180 its a nice sunny day out}. inside the jar in a jar cooker is water.im boiling water to make coffee.{probly wont wait for it to boil as i dont like my coffee all that hot.}my take on this so far. is that although you can not fit alot into a jar in a jar cooker, it gets hot faster.if you had a number of these you could cook a many course meal.the box cooker on the other hand holds more pots at once. does take awhile to heat up though. but thats more because of my materials used. {only the second box cooker i ever made, im a novice. l.o.l.}ill post some more as the day goes on. wish i could post pics.kaz
kaz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at 12:00 pm est. the box cooker was at 190 f. the jar in a jar was at 190 f. aT 12:30 PM. EST. THE BOX COOKER WAS AT 210 F. AND THE JAR IN A JAR WAS AT 200 F. AT 1:00 PM EST THE BOX COOKER IS AT 212 WHICH IS BOILING RIGHT NOW.THE JAR IN A JAR COOKER IS AT 200F.I THINK THE JAR IN A JAR CAN NOT GET TO BOILING BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED SPACE INSIDE AND THE OVEN THERMOMETER IS BLOCKING THE LID ON THE INNER JAR WHICH WILL IN TURN SLOW DOWN HEATING.WHOOPS I BUMPED THE CAPS, SORRY BUT I DONT FEEL LIKE REWRITING EVERYTHING SO ILL LEAVE IT.the jar in the jar is fine, itll heat up pre cooked foods fast i.e. canned foods,itll make hot enough water for coffee and tea,ect.im sure since it gets over 160 fast it will cook stuff like hotdogs.so in that manner it would make a great travel companion for camping ect.or for afternoon tea.in the long run the box cooker gets to boiling with liquid based foods and holds alot and since it is over 200 degrees can cook raw meats and veggies. but im sure the jar in the jar would get to the boiling point if the big thermometer wasnt blocking the top of the inner jar getting sunlight.im happy, these both work, however, i am going to make a better more permanent solar cooker from what i learned from these. im already cooking and can only get better from here.kaz p.s. if anyone would like pics of the jar in a jar cooker, let me know, ill send you some since i cant figgure out how to post here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: