Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - 275F in my new Easy Lid!
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

275F in my new Easy Lid!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: 275F in my new Easy Lid! Reply with quote

At about 1pm (PDT), I hit 275F in my new Easy Lid. I'd finished it shortly before leaving for my writer's conference, but had not yet had a totally clear day for testing (though I'd hit 250F in less than ideal conditions).

I am so happy with my new oven. I sprung for double-strength glass (with a 50 mi. clear sweep into the prevailing wind from our property, wind can definitely be an issue!), and I also had a good piece of 18-guage steel cut for my bottom tray—worth the cost, I think. I really feel it gives me an edge on holding the heat when there are intermittent clouds, and it took the flat-black paint nicely (I washed it in detergent and hot water first, as anything out of a welding/machine shop has oil on it).

275F, and while it is clear (still, at 3pm), it is not a particularly hot day. That is so cool... or is that hot? Wink Gotta go check the rolls (should be done) and add the greens to the soup for the last stage. Boy, this is really a nice cooker. Again, kudos to Tom Sponheim and Chao Tan for the design idea. Bet I'll hit 300F under the most ideal conditions. Cool

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great! Did you take any pictures? I'd really like to see how it looks. How did the rolls and soup turn out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SharonID

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconino wrote:
That sounds great! Did you take any pictures? I'd really like to see how it looks. How did the rolls and soup turn out?

I have tons of pictures... I even have pictures of the soup and rolls from that day (there's a report on the soup and rolls on the Food Processing board, titled Tuesday Supper). I really should get some uploaded (I'm a combination techno-klutz and techno-wuss, so I keep putting it off, but if I do it when either of my techies are home it won't be so bad....). It was a fabulous dinner! I really should post that roll recipe, too, since they came out so incredibly well. I've just been too busy tending garden and sun-cooking to post enough! Wink

Right now there are brownies in the Easy Lid, as well as a smaller pan toasting some walnuts, and I'm testing an ultra-simple small panel design that I'm hoping to use with a local Roots & Shoots kids' club for a project.

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flickr is a good tool for pictures and really easy to use. Also free, which is a bonus. I'm on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/coconino/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: The origins of the "Easy Lid" cooker Reply with quote

I've never really mentioned how the "Easy Lid" solar box cooker came to be. In 1995 or so, I had my ESL class at Seattle Central Community College build the "Minimum" solar cooker (http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Minimum_Solar_Box_Cooker) one evening in class. A few days later, a student (Chao Tan) brought a cooker to class that he had built I assume from memory. He hadn't followed the directions, but what he showed me was really quite ingenious.

In the original design, there were no tabs and the finished base had square holes in each corner where the flaps from the smaller box didn't cover. I added the tabs to the liner, named it, drew up the plans, and posted them in the Solar Cooking Archive (http://solarcooking.org/plans/easylid.htm). That's the story.

Just when we think we've gotten things simple, we find that we've been making it too complicated all along.

Tom Sponheim
Solar Cookers International

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: